In this beauty roundtable with the ladies of the Snailunit, Tracy needs an intervention for her giant beauty stash, Chel reminds us that there’s more to K-beauty than cosmetics, Cat (fka Snow) whips out a seasonal skincare hack and talks pulling back on the acids, and Fiddy answers a listener question about brightening and hyperpigmentation.
- Scroll through Tracy’s Instagram if you want an idea of the depth of her stash issues
- Cat’s giant stash reorganization project, part 1 and part 2
- Cat’s skincare wardrobe tag
- Fiddy’s (more or less) current beauty stash inventory
- Korean nail artist Unistella
- Cat plans her winter skincare routine (whilst sitting in a puddle of late summer sweat)
- Fiddy talks tretinoin skincare with her Curology provider
The Snailunit discusses misleading marketing on preservatives, MLM metal masks, and cutesy x collab overload.
- Chel’s post on parabens
- Fiddy’s Hera x Nicholas Kirkwood Limited Edition cushion
- adoredee’s post on How to beauty haul responsibly
- History of Whoo Limited Edition cushions on @jolenecyl on Instagram
- Amway/Artistry skincare
- Tracy’s post on Korean ingredients list order
- Beauty recap from Kind of Stephen
The snails celebrate the 20th episode with a whole lot of dicks and free talk about current beauty news.
- Diving Is the K-Beauty Trick for Melt-Proof Makeup – Vogue
- KFC Sunscreen
- Jessica Jung’s Skincare Routine
- Makeup Addiction Subreddit post about setting sprays
- Truth in Advertising Calls Out the Kardashians
- Scott Disick’s Instagram Mistake
- The Fashion Law
- The Dirty Advertising Practices of the Industry’s Biggest Brands, Bloggers
- Centipede Poop
- NSFW AT ALL: Sex Products Penis Enlargement Essential Oils Sex Delay Men’s Penis Care Massage Oil Extension Growth Extender Enhancers 10ml 3p
- Snow’s blog: Milky Dress Vita C+ Powder Review & It’s Time to Get Nerdy About Vitamin C
- Snow’s blog: Cosrx BHA Power Liquid Exfoliant Review & My Descent Into BHA Research Madness
- Scientific Studies: Last Week Tonight with John Oliver (HBO)
- Snow’s blog: Elizavecca Milky Piggy Carbonated Bubble Clay Mask Review: Tested & Detested
- Racked: The Sheet Mask Sanitation Scandal Rocking the K Beauty World
This episode we’re talking about skincare techniques that we love. Find out which of us can’t follow directions for shit, why Fiddy needs to buy swim goggles, who has hair that reaches her mid-thigh, and the story behind why Chel slathers her whole body in Shark Sauce.
This episode on how we organize our stashes was inspired by an episode request from Dora, a listener, who asked: “Can you maybe talk about storage for vast collections of beauty products? I have no clue where to put all my stuff so that it is still readily available and doesn’t clutter the whole bathroom. Thanks!”
If you have an episode idea for us, let us know!
- Spreadsheet & Stash
- Weekday Randomness: Update on Haulzilla 2014; the line between high-maintenance and hoarder
- Weekly review, Beauty Tool Edition: Airless Pump Bottles
- Chel’s Mishibox unboxings
- Having It All, or: Multitasking and the Full Korean Skin Care Routine
- Fiddy’s empties and organization
- ramen noodle guard
This episode topic was suggested by Patricia, who wrote:
Can you guys do an “All About That Acid” segment? I.e., what each kind of acid/active does, what side effects you have experienced, what order you have found them to be the most successful (for those who are using all of them), which particular brands/products have been effective for you, etc.?
Hell yes, we’re here with the acid, get ready to BURN!
Some resources we mention:
- Hoojoo Beauty: Chemical Exfoliants: AHAs & BHAs
- Snow: Putting your products in order, including pH dependent acids
- Snow: What’s In My Skincare Wardrobe: Actives (Prescriptions, Antioxidants, and Acids) Edition
- Snow: A Review of Curology (PocketDerm) & Why I’m an Azelaic Acid Fangirl
- Tracy: Blemish Busting Tip: Spot Treat with a Strong AHA
- Tracy: I Tried 11 BHAs and Here’s my Favorite
- Tracy: Review: Paula’s Choice Resist Weekly Resurfacing Treatment with 10% AHA
Join Fiddy, Snow, and Tracy for a discussion about kbeauty vs. Western beauty price and value, and who belongs in a body bag. Seriously.
Dick rating: off the charts.
Regrets from our early days in kbeauty…we all have them and they’re really funny (in retrospect). Join the snails on a discussion of $400 routines that turned out to be terrible, a glowing Etude House palette review, Laneige lust gone wrong, and a burningly funny look back at a Nature Republic aloe gel review.
Fiddy: Laneige Bright Renew line
Inevitably, in every hobby/skincare obsession, there’s going to be a honeymoon period where everything is exciting and unknown; when you don’t yet know a BHA from a PHA, when you can’t yet disassemble and reassemble a 15-step routine blindfolded, and when your wallet greets every new shop with a shriek of terror.
When those days of discovery have passed and when the flames of passion (and your wallet) have cooled to a jaded dull glow, then you must ask: What gives you a Skincare Boner?
The Snail Unit answers this question, discusses mullets, nerds out over reducing spider veins, and predictably can’t keep a straight face. Boner. Heh heh heh.